Just by shopping at and donating to Pennyworth on Bonifant Street in Silver Spring, you’re helping to support more than a dozen local, national, and international nonprofit organizations. When you shop with us, you’re not only getting a great deal, but you’re also doing a great deal of good for others. Here are just a few of the organizations that we support financially or with donations of goods.
Charities You Helped Pennyworth Support in 2014 and 2015
- Shepherd’s Table/Progress Place is a Fenton Village landmark. They provide food, clothing, and services to the homeless community of Silver Spring at their location on Georgia Avenue, just blocks from Pennyworth. Every month, our volunteers pull unsold or older items of clothing and deliver them to Progress Place.
- A Wider Circle (AWC) serves the greater Silver Spring area with their mission “to end poverty for one individual and one family after another.” On occasions when our donors provide us with more than we can stock, we send AWC bed linens, toys, babies’ and children’s clothing, as well as professional/office clothing pulled from our racks at the end of each month. We also encourage our donors to give furniture and other large items, which we cannot stock, to AWC, who makes sure they find good homes.
- The Homeless Ministry at Grace Episcopal Church receives both in kind and monetary donations from Pennyworth. Our volunteers regularly save cloth bags and toiletries, as well as shirts, sweatshirts, and shoes, which the Homeless Ministry distributes during their trip downtown. In addition, your in-store spending helps to purchase food and other supplies for the ministry’s outreach programs.
- We aim to support the homeless – pets included! We collect old pillows, ripped/stained linens and stuffed animals, which our volunteers deliver to local animal shelters. Pennyworth has given to Prince George’s County Animal Management, Washington Humane Society, Montgomery County Animal Services and Adoption Center, and others.
- Other organizations that received donations in 2014 and 2015 include Habitat for Humanity, Heifer International, Grace Episcopal Day School, the Early Literacy Center at the Silver Spring Library, the Silver Spring Volunteer Fire Department, the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad, Montgomery Hospice, and Ministries United Silver Spring/Takoma Park.
Know a great organization you’d like Pennyworth to support? Message us on Facebook with a link, information about the organization, and the specifics of your request. While we can’t support every worthy cause we’d like, we are always on the lookout for ways to make your purchases and donations work harder for our community in Silver Spring and beyond.